Cannabis-infused edibles have come a long way since the days of hash brownies and firecrackers. Now, elite cannabis chefs combine marijuana with a plethora of delicacies from soups to sushi. Today, we’re going to explore one of those delicacies in detail: cannabis-infused smoothies.
We’ll just come out and say it: smoothies are incredible. Not only do they taste amazing, but you can pack them with abundant vitamins to energize you throughout the day. Add weed into the equation, and you can also add a long-lasting, powerful edible buzz to supercharge your smoothie.
Without further ado, our Pineapple and Banana Cannabis-Infused Smoothie Recipe!
Before Your Infused Smoothie: Making Cannabis Oil
Before you start making your infused smoothie, you’ll need a medium to carry cannabinoids and terpenes within it. Many recipes for cannabis-infused edibles call for cannabis-infused butter or olive oil to do this job. But we’re going to be doing things a little differently with a slightly exotic-infused medium: coconut oil.
There are a few reasons for this. First, coconut oil is both dairy-free and vegan. That means it can fit into nearly any diet. Second (and most importantly), coconut oil is going to taste way better in a smoothie than butter or olive oil would. That’s an important factor we can’t overlook.
- ½ cup (100 g) refined coconut oil
- ¼ oz (7 g) cannabis flower (we love Durban Poison for its Sativa high and unique flavor)
Step One: Decarboxylate Weed
If you don’t decarboxylate, or heat-activated, your weed, it won’t have its trademark psychoactive high. When you smoke weed, the act of igniting a flower decarboxylates it. Since we’re not smoking this weed, we need to heat-activate it manually. Fortunately, it’s not that hard!
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees
- Place ¼ oz of weed on pyrex tray
- Heat weed for 45 minutes
- Remove weed. Let cool for 30 minutes
Step Two: Make Infused Oil
Now it’s time to infuse that fully decarboxylated weed into your coconut oil.
- Evenly distribute coconut oil in mason jars
- Distribute weed into mason jars
- Place mason jars in a pot
- Seal jars
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover the jars
- Heat water in pot to 185 degrees
- Cover pot and heat for 4 hours
- After 4 hours, carefully remove top of pot
- Empty jars, straining oil to remove leftover plant matter
Congrats, you now have cannabis coconut oil for your infused smoothie!
The Ultimate Cannabis-Infused Smoothie Recipe
Now that you have all the ingredients you need, you’re in the home stretch.
- 1-2 teaspoons infused coconut oil
- 1 banana
- ¼ pineapple
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 cup pineapple or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
Making Your Cannabis-Infused Smoothie
- Place banana, pineapple, ice cubes, infused oil, pineapple or apple juice, and honey into a blender in that order
- Blend ingredients until smooth – this may require stirring
- If smoothie is too thick, water down with cold filtered water
Serve and enjoy!
One thing to remember: edibles take longer to affect a user than smoked or vaped weed does. But once it hits, it’s more powerful. If you don’t finish your smoothie in a single sitting, you can store it in your refrigerator for later.